Monday, October 11, 2010

Angry Villager Anthology--"Voicemail"



[The eleventh installment of the month-long poetry sequence that began on October 1st.]

"Voicemail"

Cyndi Anders

What a surprise, you won't answer your cellphone.
You're a goddamn coward, Danny, you know that?
But you don't have to worry, it's all over know.
The town's fixin' to execute the monster even as I speak.
The same beast that came leaping out of the bushes
As I was leaving Doc Ventnor's office this morning.
I couldn't even scream as I stood there all by myself,
In broad daylight, staring into the thing's yolk-yellow eyes.
Then even though its claw, or whatever you want to call it,
Never moved, I felt the pain ripping through my belly,
Felt the awful wetness as the miscarriage gushed out of me
Almost as fast as you ran out on me after I told you.
Our would-be boy might've been conceived out of wedlock,
But you and I both know who the real bastard is here.

No comments: