Sunday, October 3, 2010

Angry Villager Anthology--"Enemy Lines"


[The third installment of the month-long poetry sequence that began on October 1st.]

"Enemy Lines"

Julia Reyes, Writer/Proprietor of The Grantwood Gazette

I'm only here to see where the story goes, and really, I'm not even
     here.
Even as I move with the crowd I'm off somewhere in my head
Drafting the start of tomorrow's lead article for the Gazette.
I fish for synonyms for hero, string together lines
That lionize Rupert Daugherty for capturing the beast.
I keep losing focus, though, not due to the clamor around me
But because of the bitter voice editorializing deep inside me.
BLIND SQUIRREL FINDS NUT is the real headline I'd like to write.
Sales of the paper had been way up all October long
Thanks to people hankering for the latest items in "The Weekly Dish";
Now that dollar-sign-embossed balloon's been popped
By that nitwit Rupert's untimely burst of ingenuity.

No comments: