Monday, March 4, 2013

Dead Lines



Last night's episode, "Clear," featured only a handful of characters, but immense dramatic resonance.  And Lennie James gave an Emmy-worthy performance in his role as Morgan (last seen in the very first episode of the series).  Some of the premiere dialogue from "Clear":


Rick: There's a few places out on the main street--bars, a liquor store.  Owners had a gun or two behind the counter that people didn't know about.  I did.  I signed the permits. They might still be there.  [beat] Do you have a problem with that approach? 
Michonne: [softly--yet suggestively] No, Rick, I don't have a problem.



Rick: He's wearing body armor.  He's alive.
Michonne: Do we care?
Rick: [removing the man's helmet and recognizing Morgan]  Yeah.



Rick: We're eating his food now?
Michonne: [shrugs] The mat said "Welcome."



Morgan: We was looking for food.  You know, it always came down to food.  And I was--I was checking out a cellar and didn't want Duane to come down there with me.  And then when I came up she was standing right there in front of him and he had his gun up, and he wouldn't do it.  So I called to him and he turned.  And then she was just...just on him.  And I see red.  I see red.  Everything is red.  Everything I see is red.  And I do it [i.e. shoot his undead wife].  Finally.  Finally was too late.



Morgan: Hey, your boy.  Is he dead?
Rick: No.
Morgan: No?  He will be.  See, 'cause people like you, the good people, they always die.  And the bad people do, too.  But the weak people, the people like me: we have inherited the earth.



Michonne: [seeing Morgan up and about]  Is he okay?
Rick: No, he's not.



Carl: I had to shoot you.  You know I had to, right?  I'm sorry.
Morgan: Hey, son.  Don't ever be sorry.

No comments: