Monday, March 12, 2012

Dead Lines



[For last week's quotable quotes, click here.]


The drama has heightened as the second season of The Walking Dead draws to a close, and last night's episode ("Better Angels") was filled with terrific speeches.  For example:


"In the end he was talking about losing our humanity.  He said this group was broken.  The best way to honor him is to unbreak it.  To set aside our differences and pull together.  Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, take control of our lives.  Our safety.  Our future.  We're not broken.  We're going to prove him wrong.  From now on we are gonna do it his way.  That is how we honor Dale."
--Rick's graveside eulogy


"This is real.  And we can't keep it at bay; it's already got us.  And it just keeps coming, doesn't it?  [beat]  I made a mess of things.  And put you and Rick at odds.  I don't even know whose baby this is.  I can't imagine how hard that is on you."
--Lori to Shane


"Yeah.  Yeah.  Feels like there's a lot of that [i.e. death] going around.  That's why I need you.  No more kid stuff.  I wish you could have the childhood I had, but that's not going to happen.  People are going to die.  I'm gonna die.  Mom.  There's no way you can ever be ready for it.  I try to be, but I can't.  Best we can do now is avoid it as long as we can, keep one step ahead.  I wish I had something better to say, something--something more profound.  My father was good like that.  But I'm tired son.  Please, take it [Daryl's gun]."
--Rick to Carl


"What you know about what I have to live with?  You got no idea what I can live with, what I live with.  You talk about what I can do, Rick: how about what you can do?  Here I am [lowers gun].  C'mon man, raise your gun....What happened, Rick, I thought you weren't the good guy anymore?  Ain't that what you said?  Even right here right now you ain't gonna fight for her?  I'm a better father than you, Rick.  I'm better for Lori than you, man.  'Cause I'm a better man than you, Rick.  'Cause I can be here and I'll fight for her.  But you come back here and you just destroy everything!  You've got a broken woman.  You got a weak boy.  You ain't got the first clue on how to fix it.  Raise your gun."
--Shane's last words to Rick

No comments: