Sunday, May 1, 2011

Countdown: The Top 20 American Horror Movie Posters--#20

May 1st brings the start of a new countdown here at Macabre Republic.  This time I'll be listing my choices for the Top 20 American Horror Movie Posters of all time.  The posters have been chosen based on their tag line, their imagery, their colorfulness, and their overall effect (the quality of the film itself did not factor into my rankings).

The last countdown (of the Top 20 Stephen King Works of American Gothic Short Fiction) ran for several months, but the twenty posts
covering the selected posters will appear over the course of the next few weeks.  So stay tuned, and don't hesitate to let me know at the end of the countdown if you feel that I've overlooked any strong candidates (which I'm sure I did, given the size of the field I was surveying).

And...here...we...go:

#20. Candyman

I just love the way this poster taps into the mythic (the hook-handed killer) and the phobic (the crawling insect).  The imagery here--highlighting the vulnerability of the human eye--never fails to make me cringe.






No comments: