Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Most Gothic Place Names in the United States--Michigan



[For previous entries, click the "Most Gothic Place Names" label under Features in the right sidebar.]

Wolverine country is a den of great place names, such as Paines (expect neither rest nor relaxation here), Covert (there's much more to this scene than meets the eye), Killmaster (try getting hired as a servant in this town!), Duel (don't enrage any truckers on the roadways), Ash Acres (a capacious wasteland), Devils Corner (doubtless a suburb of Hell), Hard Luck (a place where your ill fortune has been pre-ordained), Bates Location (I'm guessing in that creepy house up on the hill), and Tallman (sounds like a Phantastic destination).  All worthy contenders, but I couldn't help but choose the following as this week's winner:

Windigo.  I swear that this was a happy accident; I had no idea beforehand that this post would end up part of Wendigo Week.  In any event, the name (doesn't "Windigo, Michigan" just roll off the tongue?) evokes a town with a taste for the taboo, a wintry community where the cannibals can be found by the cabin-full.  The kind of place where the phrase "eat your heart out" is hardly an idle boast.

1 comment:

Joe Nazare said...

And I just realized that I skipped right over Maryland and Massachusetts. That's really freaky--the Wendigo must have been calling to me.