Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fantastic Casting: Horns



The bad news: my NCAA Tournament bracket got busted faster than a smut peddler at a church bazaar.  But the awesome news from the past few days: Joe Hill's incredible novel Horns is being adapted as a feature film by Mandalay Pictures (Hill himself will serve as an executive producer).  This announcement immediately got me to thinking about which actors would be best suited to bring Hill's characters to life.  Here's who I would tab for the cast:

Ig Perrish: Shia Laboeuf has already been attached to the starring role, but I would rather go with someone like Justin Long, who has demonstrated the diversity to handle the darkly comedic and dramatic aspects of Hill's bedeviled protagonist.

Merrin Williams: Natalie Portman would bring the perfect combination of attractiveness and gravitas to the role of Ig's tragically-fated girlfriend, but a more realistic choice here is the fresh-faced, redheaded Emma Stone.

Lee Tourneau: I can see Chris Pine excelling as Ig's charismatic but psychotic best friend.  2nd choice: Emile Hirsch.

Terry Perrish: Justin Timberlake seems a natural for the role of Ig's musician/L.A.-celebrity older brother.  Alternately: Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Glenna Nicholson: Anyone who's seen Winter's Bone would agree that Jennifer Lawrence could easily embody Ig's disheveled roommate.  Amanda Seyfried could be a good fit here, too.


I have no idea who will ultimately win these roles, but one thing I can assert with a good deal of confidence: the Rolling Stones'
"Sympathy for the Devil" (referenced throughout the novel) will be featured in the soundtrack.


***
If you missed my earlier review of Hill's novel, click here.

2 comments:

: said...

FANTASTIC choices, especially Emma Stone and Justin Timberlake. I never would have thought of JT in a million years for that role, but it would definitely work. *Definitely*.

Funny . . . I was just getting laughed at by some folks here at work the other day because I mentioned I'm a big JT fan. I just think the kid is really, really talented.



J.N.

Joe Nazare said...

Thanks, James. If the film (no matter who gets casted) ends up half as good as Hill's novel, it will make for an awesome cinematic experience.