Thursday, August 26, 2010

Zombie Potpourri

As the undead continue to thrive in American pop culture, I would just like to alert people to a few zombie-related items...

Recently I learned for the first time (how did I not know about this sooner?!) about the phenomenon of the "zombie walk."  It's a wonderfully weird cross between a flash mob and a (decomposing) costume party.  Asbury Park, NJ is a popular site for such events; the next walk is scheduled there for October 30 (check out njzombiewalk.com for more info).  I've embedded a couple of YouTube videos that captured last year's event.

Now this is what we call a parade in the Macabre Republic:




In this next video, the choreography isn't perfect, but the performances are hysterical:




Terrific stuff; I hope I can attend the upcoming walk on October 30th. And there's more zombie fun to be had the next night, as the Frank Darabont-directed series The Walking Dead will premiere on AMC at 10 (there's a good reason to get home early this Halloween!). Check out the show's trailer here.

Finally, if you can't wait until Halloween weekend to get your zombie fix, there's plenty of good fiction to be had in the meantime.  Check out this amazing review (by horror legend John Skipp) of Amelia Beamer's debut novel The Loving Dead.

2 comments:

Joshua Gaylord said...

I would also recommend a terrific movie I discovered on Netflix: American Zombie. It's a faux documentary about the subculture of zombie life in contemporary LA. It's done very simply and very beautifully--with equal parts humor and pathos and authentic creepiness.

Joe Nazare said...

I've added American Zombie to my Netflix queue--can't wait to watch it!